Extra Space Solutions UK (ESS)
Once complete this project will provide a six-storey high residential building, that will house students on their clinical placement directly next a hospital they will be working in. It will welcome the first intake of Kent and Medway Medical School in September 2022.
Having worked successfully with ESS Modular on many other offsite projects, this was the first time D4S had collaborated with them on structures above 6 storeys in height. This therefore required a different approach for the structural design in order to meet design requirements for disproportionate collapse. Our steel detailing model was developed in tandem with 3D Revit models, which were produced by external design consultants. Steel detailing was coordinated with each respective IFC file from their Revit models throughout the duration of the project.
The design required detailing to ensure that the modules could be fitted out in the factory. This involved careful coordination in the position of connections and floor/ceiling access hatches. The building was designed and detailed to accommodate a construction sequence of 6no. separate stacks as opposed to floor-by-floor construction. This required a design partially driven to ensure lateral stability in the temporary condition.
- Modules Total containing 3no. Stair cores with Glass Balustrade design
- 15,500 Drawings; 6800 Single parts, 8500 Assembly drawings and 200 Construction General arrangement drawings
- TDS Developed 60no. custom components to assist connection design and reduce modelling timescale
- Full BIM coordinated Tekla model with Architectural, Engineering and MEP input
- First project for ESS modular using Macalloy Tension Rod bracing